With owning a home comes a lot of responsibility and one of the most commonly forgotten responsibilities is cleaning your dryer vent. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, over 15,000 structural fires occur each year as a result of a dryer fire. The National Fire Protection Association further states that the #1 cause of a dryer malfunction is not cleaning out the dryer vent, which accounts for 1/3 of all dryer fires. These statistics not only support the cause for dryer vent cleaning but are simply scary!
WARNING signs it’s time to clean your dryer vent:
- Are you running your dryer multiple times?
- Do your clothes smell funny, like a burning smell?
- Does your laundry room feel like a sauna?
- Is your dryer hot to the touch?
- Do you have more lint build up than normal?
- Is the flow sense light on your dryer lit?
The following can occur as a result of a clogged dryer vent:
- Wear and tear on the dryer
- High utility bills
- Carbon monoxide poising
As a part of your home’s maintenance program, clean the lint out of the lint trap between each cycle and on an annual basis, call Advanced Furnace & Air Duct Cleaning for your professional dryer vent clean out. Your appliance will thank you and so will your home and family’s safety.
The Benjamin Franklin axiom that “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is just as true today.