As much as we are ready to welcome a warm spring breeze, those of us with allergies are dreading the inevitable! There are a few things we can do to prepare but avoiding pollen is essentially impossible.
Here are a few good tips:
- As tempting as it is to leave windows and doors open, don’t! Keep them closed to minimize allergy symptoms.
- Vacuum often! This includes floors, rugs, upholstered furniture even your mattress and pillows. Vacuum with a hepa filter.
- Pollen sticks to fabric. Avoid bringing it inside by changing your clothes as soon as you come inside. Leave shoes in the foyer so you do not track pollen inside.
- Shower before bed so you do not transfer pollen to your bed linens and pillows.
- Change furnace filters frequently. Use a pleated filter with a high MERV rating.
- Check for mold because that could also set off allergies. The most common places for mold is your bathrooms, kitchens, basement or anywhere there may be leaks.
- Make sure you clean and shut off the humidifier if you have one attached to your furnace.
- Avoid outside activities when the pollen count is the highest. This is between 5:00 AM and 10:00 AM and keep in mind that the count is always high on a windy day. Hot, dry days have a higher pollen count as well.
- Check the local air quality report before venturing outside.
- Consider having your air ducts cleaned and sanitized. This will remove pollen, dust, dust mites, mold and mold spores. Give ADVANCED a call today to set up an appointment and mention this article for a special spring discount.
- Have your air conditioner coils cleaned during the duct cleaning to save money!